The project MUSA (MultiFunctional SemiAndrgynous interface) exploits the results and the knowledge acquired from SAM to realize a prototype of a novel small-size docking port, able to transmit power and information as well as perform fluid transfer.
The first prototype demonstrated the mechanical design of the semiandrogynous interface and the data transmission; a preliminary fluid interface was also realized.
MUSA interface is composed by four main parts:
- the four petals, that can be opened and closed to perform the mating manoeuvre
- the docking plate with refuelling and communication interfaces
- the control subsystem with the electronics and the fluid control
- the actuating mechanism with the motor and the cam system to command the petals movement
A linear actuator is mounted behind the docking interface, to push it after docking realizing the required preload to stiffen the joint and create the airtight seal.
PROTOTYPE AND TEST:
- Mechanism actuation test
- Near Field Communication test
- Fluid interface concept assessment